Articles Posted in Petition to Adjudicate

Published on:

One of the questions I am often asked is “am I entitled to a bond on a probation revocation?”  The answer to that questions depends upon the type of probation.  In a deferred adjudication situation, one is entitled to a bond.  On ordinary communtiy supervision probation, one is not entitled to a bond setting, though in practice bonds are sometimes set. 

There are essentially two different types of probation, often called community supervision.

The first type is known as deferred adjudication.  In a deferred adjudication situation, a person is placed on community supervision with no finding, or “adjudication” of guilt.  If a person successfully completes deferred adjudication, the case is dismissed and the person avoids a conviction.  If the person is accused of violating one or more conditions of deferred adjudication community supervsion, the person’s supervison officer may file what is known as a Petition to Adjudicate.  When a Petition to Adjudicate is filed, a warrant for the person’s arrest is issued.  In Collin County, judges will sometimes set a bond amount when the warrant issues on a Petition to Adjudicate.

Contact Information